"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

The hardest question for me to answer in this world is always the "Tell us all about you" question. The best way for me to answer is that "I am composed of contradictions and subject to change without notice."

Click here for your favorite eBay items

 

 

Click here to become 
a LinkShare Affiliate!

-->

 RSS

  Add to Technorati Favorites
< ?  * >

Powered by Blogger

9.16.2007

An impending switch

Let this be fair warning to all 9 people who read my blog on a regular basis (by the way - I love it that you keep returning to read my ramblings). I have a plan to switch my blog to Wordpress (hosted by GoDaddy) before the end of this year - maybe early November if I am lucky. I have been doing a little research and Wordpress seems to be the way to go. While some people might not think GoDaddy is the best choice of host, I have had pretty good luck with them and I really like their customer service team.

Some of my first thoughts on this are (in no particular order):
  • I plan on leaving this blog intact with a "final" post directing people to my "new" blog.
  • I will use the domain name of www.belhoste.com which I already own and is currently forwarded to this blog
  • I will re-create all posts that I have here on the new blog (including comments if possible)
  • I want to be able to expand my blog beyond a blog - having a full about me page at the very least
  • Be able to host my own image files - while I like using photo bucket it has its limitations
  • While my primary goal of this site is to just have a place to speak my mind and not necessarily make any money - I will continue to have a "spare change" section that hopefully makes enough money to cover the hosting
  • I will try and make a real category list and limit those categories to between 10 and 20 topics
  • One thing you can be sure of that will not change is my ability to post in grammatically incorrect sentences

My main reason for the switch is to make this a more "professional" looking blog. I have had this blog for a few years now and I have managed to keep it going, so I feel like it is time for the next step. While I don't have all that many returning readers, I do have quite a few people who come here to check out some of my more popular posts.

With that said, I would love to hear any advice from people on how best to go about this. I have ideas of my own, but I am always open to suggestions.

Note: I hate begging for anything, but I would really appreciate some links to this post to be able to get more advice from people about switching.

Technorati tag:

Belhoste: An impending switch » Composed of contradictions and subject to change without notice

Links to this post:

Comments on "An impending switch"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/23/2007 11:36 AM) : 

I like WordPress; it's not especially easy to customize, but it's really simple to redesign. (I run two side blogs, though not my main one, on WP.)

Since you're presumably not going to import all the old Blogger posts, you're going to have rather a lot less work to do.

 

Blogger Belhoste said ... (9/23/2007 10:09 PM) : 

I am planning on "copying" all my posts and comments over to the new blog. However, I will keep this one intact to make sure the blog name does not get used again.

I have already managed to get the WordPress blog setup without too much difficulty - I had to stop my forward to get it working, but I put up a link to get people back to this one in the meantime. It was very easy to setup. I am NOT looking forward to pulling in all those old posts even with the Google API to help me out.

 

post a comment

 

current blog