"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

The hardest question for me to answer in this world is always the "Tell us all about you" question. The best way for me to answer is that "I am composed of contradictions and subject to change without notice."

Click here for your favorite eBay items

 

 

Click here to become 
a LinkShare Affiliate!

-->

 RSS

  Add to Technorati Favorites
< ?  * >

Powered by Blogger

1.06.2007

Laying it all out

Made the decision to go motorcycle riding this fine, cold afternoon. Because of the cold weather, I put on full gear (including a full helmet and two pairs of gloves). Everything was going pretty well despite the cold, when a small piece of metal decided to change the day. Slowing down for the approaching stop light, I decided that I needed to change lanes. Did all the right things - looked behind me, signalled, looked ahead and behind again and proceeded into the next lane. I glanced down in the middle of the lane change and noticed a flat piece of metal which I swerved to miss. I managed to miss it with the front tire and hit it full on with the rear one while applying the brakes to slow for the light. Needless to say, I went down with a vengence.

One minute I am driving upright and the next I am sliding on my stomach, headfirst into an intersection. I did manage to stop before getting out in the middle of the oncoming traffic. At this point what seems like chaos has errupted. My partner is trying to get off her bike, when two nice men show up out of nowhere and right the bike while a passenger from the car behind me has hopped out to see if I am alright. I am upright and talking, so I assure the passenger that I am okay.

We get the bike out of road and into a parking lot. We have some biker friends who live closeby and call them for some assistance. We get the bikes taken care of and get a ride home. After a bit of personal review - I determine that a trip to the local clinic might be in order before we call it a night. Six x-rays, four hours, two credit card receipts and one splint later we are back at home. The grand health total of all this - a contusion on my little finger, several abrasions, and probably about 20 bruises. Overall a great way to walk away from a motorcycle wreck - no complaints (just a few well-placed aches to remind me why I wear a helmet and gear).

My whole thought on this is any accident you can walk away from is a good accident. My most heartfelt thanks to the fine people who stopped to assist me at the location of the accident. Without their help - I probably would have been in a whole lot worse shape than without them. Today I remember why exactly it is I choose to continue to live in Oklahoma.

Oh, and the bike has a couple of scratches, but nothing major - I'll be riding it again in no time.

Technorati tag:

Belhoste: Laying it all out » Composed of contradictions and subject to change without notice

Links to this post:

Comments on "Laying it all out"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/08/2007 11:31 AM) : 

"...any accident you can walk away from is a good accident."

I'll drink to that.

 

Blogger Belhoste said ... (1/09/2007 10:16 PM) : 

Have several for me - I won't be drinking again until I am off the painkillers :-)

 

post a comment

 

current blog