"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

The hardest question for me to answer in this world is always the "Tell us all about you" question. The best way for me to answer is that "I am composed of contradictions and subject to change without notice."

Click here for your favorite eBay items

 

 

Click here to become 
a LinkShare Affiliate!

-->

 RSS

  Add to Technorati Favorites
< ?  * >

Powered by Blogger

3.29.2006

Rats!

rat
Those with weak stomachs, stop reading here!!

Most of my life I have had a hate-hate relationship with rats (not mice - just rats). I wasn't one to start screaming on sight, but I also didn't want to really get anywhere near them. After I started caring for a pet snake, I learned to get over my aversion and start handling rats. My snake is a little bit of a picky eater (as most captive snakes are) - he prefers that his rats be female. Whenever I have given him a male feeder rat, he has constricted it and left it for dead (probably because male rats are so aggressive). Once I started giving him female rats exclusively , he would eat. My most recent trip to the pet store (a little over a week ago), resulted in coming home with about a medium sized, female, feeder rat. My snake has decided that he likes this rat and won't eat it. I can't blame him - the rat is rather cute and sweet (looks a lot like the picture). I am really not sure what to do at this point. Should I keep the rat as a pet? Should I just leave the rat in with him until he eats? Should I separate them and try again later? I am hoping that the snake will eat while I am at work today and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Update: The snake spared the rats life. It now has a new home (a lavish two bedroom with all the amenities) and will live out its natural life in better care than any other rat. We named it Gertrude.



Technorati tag:

Belhoste: Rats! » Composed of contradictions and subject to change without notice

Links to this post:

Comments on "Rats!"

 

post a comment

 

current blog